Image Map

Thursday, June 14, 2012

More Gymnastic Obsession ...

I know that I'm obsessed with gymnastics, but I've been putting so much time into watching it, talking about it, reading about it, etc recently that's taken the obsession to a whole new level.

The Visa Championships were last weekend, Friday and Sunday. Friday night I couldn't get off work, so I came home after and watched the whole competition and read through my entire Twitter feed as well as made comments on my own Twitter until like 1am. Then Sunday, luckily, I was able to get off of work (or rather, rearrange my hours) so that I could watch the final day. Jordyn won her 2nd National Championship, I was super excited for her. Watching the Championships changed who, in my mind, I wanted to make the 2012 London Olympic team. I now believe (after a 15.350 and a 15.850 on bars) that Gabby Douglas is a lock. I still believe that Jordyn and Aly are and will continue to be. That leaves 2 spots left. I previously thought that these 2 would go to Nastia Liukin and McKayla Maroney, however, I no longer believe so. Nastia struggled terribly on both days, and it's clear that her bars routine is not even remotely up to Olympic par and probably won't be before Trials. I thought McKayla was a lock only because she is World Vault Champion .. unfortunately, her other 3 events are very shaky and Alicia could fill the vault role as well as possibly contribute on beam and floor. McKayla also suffered a concussion on Day 2, and it remains to be seen how that will affect her training for Trials. Kyla Ross has impressed me most, simply because she has remained consistent on all events and also has more difficulty she can add in her routines, which we will most likely see at Trials.

So, as of now, MY London Dream Team is ...


Jordyn Wieber, Aly Raisman, Kyla Ross, Gabrielle Douglas, and Alicia Sacramone.

Trials are in 2 weeks, and I don't know how I'm going to wait that long to know who makes the team!!

I also read two books -- Shawn's Winning Balance and Dominique Moceanu's Off Balance. Both were amazing and also two completely different points of view of life in gymnastics. I recommend both to anyone! So anyway, I've been having the WEIRDEST dreams with all of this gymnastics craziness in my head. First, I had a dream that at Trials, Jordyn injured one of her wrists but still wanted to (and did) compete uneven bars on only one good arm. In another dream, I dreamed that I met Shawn at her house and also met her parents, LOLLLL.

I'm crazy. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment