Image Map

Monday, September 4, 2017

Happy Labor Day!


We're celebrating today - Labor Day and also our 7th wedding anniversary by announcing that we are expecting our first child in March! 

I am very excited. I've wanted to be a mom for so long, but I've had to overcome a lot of different struggles before attempting to get pregnant. I have a genetic disorder called PKU that can negatively affect the growth and development of a baby if it is not strictly under control. The hardest thing about the pregnancy so far has been that I can only eat 3 grams of protein a day from food. Everyone always says, "Well I don't know how much that is." Essentially it means that I cannot eat anything besides fruits, some vegetables, and foods with sugar, and oil/butter. I have special low protein bread and pasta I can eat, but it's nowhere near as good as regular bread and pasta. I also have to drink a supplement four times a day that doesn't taste good at all. It's honestly the hardest thing I've ever done in my entire life. Imagine being pregnant and not being able to eat basically ANYTHING that you really want. That's my life. No pizza, no pasta, no chocolate, no dairy at all, and of course no meat, eggs, legumes, nuts/seeds -which I never eat anyway even when not pregnant. In addition, I have to take blood twice a week and send it to a lab where they monitor my blood levels. 

Another issue is that I have been on bedrest for the past 3 weeks. I started having some bleeding a few weeks ago and I had an ultrasound and thank goodness the baby was fine, but I have a subchorionic hemorrhage, which was causing the bleeding. It can continue so my doctor took me off work and instructed me to take it easy and not leave the house. The first week was kind of nice but after that I became really bored. I have an appointment with a high risk doctor on Wednesday and my OB said that if all goes well he may clear me to return to work. My sister's wedding is coming up this Saturday so I really hope to be able to fully participate, as I am the Matron of Honor.

Even with all of these bumps in the road so far, my husband and I couldn't be happier and we are just hoping and praying for a smooth pregnancy from here on out. I work in labor and delivery as a nurse and so I definitely wish I didn't know so much about potential complications, but I'm trying my hardest to just put my faith and trust in God that everything will work out! 

I will be posting a weekly update every Monday from now until delivery! 

How far along - 12 weeks.
Baby size - Size of an apricot.
Weight gain - None this week; 2lbs total so far.
Maternity clothes - Not yet.
Stretch marks - None.
Sleep - Better than in previous weeks, but still not great.
Gender - Still too early, but we will be finding out.
Movement - None felt yet.
Best moment the past week - Announcing the pregnancy today. Hard secret to keep!
Looking forward to - My protein tolerance increasing, being off bed rest.
Food cravings - Everything I can't eat.
Labor signs - None.
What I miss - Being able to eat whatever I want.
Symptoms - Cramping sometimes, tender breasts.
Nursery - No plans until gender is known.
Belly button in or out - In.
Wedding rings on or off - On.
Mood - Good this week.
Workouts - None; bed rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment